There are four mandatory units in this qualification for you to study including:
- Creatively style and dress hair
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of techniques
- Creatively colour and lighten hair
- Provide client consultation services
You will then be able to select a minimum of two optional units from a range of 10 units which includes: provide hair extension services; create a variety of permed effects; hair colour correction services.
This qualification is based on the national occupational standards for hairdressing and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a junior hairdresser/stylist. Learners must achieve all mandatory units which include:
- Advise and consult with clients
- Set and dress hair
- Styles and finish hair
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Colour and lighten hair
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
Throughout this qualification, learners will develop their knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy and physiology and health and safety. They will also develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to advise and consult with clients and then provide a complete hairdressing service which includes, shampooing and conditioning, colouring, cutting and setting and dressing, and styling and finishing hair. In parallel, learners will develop their communication and customer service skills, their awareness of environmental sustainability and their commercial skills, all of which are valued highly by employers. Problem solving and research skills will also be developed.
In addition to completing mandatory units, learners are required to achieve nine credits from optional units which include (this list is not exhaustive): remove hair extensions, relax hair, perm and neutralise hair, plait and twist hair, and temporarily attach hair to enhance a style.
We accept overseas students visiting on tourist visas and can provide housing options. If you are from a country that is part of the European Union then you likely will be able to travel to the UK without obtaining a separate visa. If you are from outside of the EU then you will need to apply for a tourist travel visa from the UK government, which you can do here: www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
When you complete this qualification you will be are eligible to become a State Registered Hairdresser (SRH) with The Hairdressing Council.
Career opportunities as an all hair types hairdresser exist in a variety of contexts, including
- Commercial salons
- Independent/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
- Product manufacturing and training
- Armed services
- HM Prison service
- Cruise liners
- Hospitals/care homes
Further Learning Opportunities:
Whilst this qualification's primary purpose is to prepare you for employment as a senior stylist you may choose to complement your skills base or become a specialist in a particular field of hairdressing by undertaking advanced specialist qualifications at Level 4:
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Salon Management
- VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Specialist Hair and Scalp Services
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Hair Colour Correction
- VTCT Level 4 Award in Advanced Hair Styling